As a webmaster, you know that search engine optimization (SEO) and accessibility are crucial for the success of your website. However, there’s a simple but often overlooked tool that can help you achieve both: alt tags.
In this post, we’ll discuss the hidden benefits of using alt tags for images, and show you how to add and optimize them for the best results.
Alt tags, also known as “alt attributes” or “alt descriptions,” are a way to provide a text description of an image. They’re used by search engines and users with visual impairments to understand the content of an image.
While alt tags may seem like a small detail, they can have a big impact on your website’s SEO and accessibility. In fact, according to a study by Moz, images with alt tags rank better in Google Image Search than those without.
Brief explanation of what alt tags are
Alt tags are HTML tags that provide a text alternative for an image on a web page. They’re typically used by search engines and users with visual impairments to understand the content of an image.
The SEO Benefits of Alt Tags
How alt tags help with search engine optimization
Alt tags can have a significant impact on your website’s SEO. They help search engines understand the content of an image, which can lead to better visibility in image search results. In addition, using relevant keywords in your alt tags can also help your website rank for those keywords in regular search results.
For example, if you have an image of a red apple on your website, using the alt tag “red apple” can help your website rank for the keyword “red apple” in image search and regular search results.
Examples of how alt tags can improve search engine rankings
Here are a few examples of how alt tags can help improve your website’s search engine rankings:
- If you have an e-commerce website selling clothing, using alt tags with the names and descriptions of the products can help your images rank in image search results, making it easier for potential customers to find your products.
- If you have a blog or news website, using alt tags with relevant keywords can help your images rank in image search results, driving more traffic to your website.
- If you have a website for a local business, using alt tags with the name and location of your business can help your images rank in image search results, making it easier for potential customers to find your business.
Improving Accessibility with Alt Tags
Explanation of how alt tags help with accessibility
Alt tags are not just useful for SEO, but they are also crucial for accessibility. They provide a text alternative for users with visual impairments, such as those using screen readers, to understand the content of an image. Without alt tags, users with visual impairments may not be able to understand the context of an image on a website.
How alt tags benefit users with visual impairments
Alt tags benefit users with visual impairments in several ways, including:
- Providing a text alternative to images, allowing them to understand the content of an image.
- Improving navigation and understanding of the layout of a webpage.
- Helping users with visual impairments find relevant information more easily.
How to Add Alt Tags to Images
Step-by-step guide on how to add alt tags to images
- Find the image you want to add an alt tag to on your website.
- Right-click on the image and select “Properties” or “Image Properties.”
- In the properties window, look for the “Alt Text” or “Alt Tag” field and enter a brief and descriptive text that describes the image.
- Save the changes and upload the image to your website.
Tips on optimizing alt tags for SEO and accessibility
- Use relevant keywords in your alt tags: As mentioned earlier, using relevant keywords in your alt tags can help your website rank for those keywords in search results.
- Keep them brief and descriptive: Alt tags should be brief and to the point, describing the image as accurately as possible.
- Avoid using generic phrases: Instead of using generic phrases like “image” or “photo,” be specific and describe the image in detail.
- Use empty alt tags for decorative images: For images that are used for decorative purposes only, use an empty alt tag, so screen readers will skip over them.
Alt tags are a simple but powerful tool for improving the SEO and accessibility of your website. By adding and optimizing alt tags for images, you can improve your search engine rankings and make your website more accessible to users with visual impairments.
As a webmaster, it’s important to make sure that all images on your website have alt tags. By doing so, you’ll be able to improve your website’s visibility in search results, increase traffic, and provide a better user experience for all visitors.
We hope this guide has helped you understand the importance of alt tags for images and how to add and optimize them for the best results. If you have any further questions or need help implementing alt tags on your website, don’t hesitate to reach out to a web developer or SEO specialist.
In summary, the hidden benefits of using alt tags for images are many, they help with SEO by making images searchable, they improve accessibility by providing a text alternative for users with visual impairments, they benefit users with visual impairments by improving navigation and understanding of the layout of a webpage and by helping users with visual impairments find relevant information more easily. If you’re not using alt tags yet, it’s time to start, it’s a small but powerful tool that can make a big difference in the performance of your website.